Since its establishment in 1974, the Region 2 Planning Commission has been active in the economic development of the Region. The R2PC has assisted local units of government with the creation of economic development tools such as overall economic development plans, TIFA districts, master plans, infrastructure improvements, and development of proposals for economic development projects.
The U.S. Economic Development Administration (EDA) established the R2PC as an Economic Development District (EDD) for the Region 2 area (i.e., Hillsdale, Jackson and Lenawee counties) in 2013. That status provides funding for the R2PC’s economic development program through the EDA Partnership Planning grants and makes the entire Region 2 Area eligible to apply for other federal grants for local economic development projects. A primary focus of the EDD is maintaining an up-to-date Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS).
Downtown Jackson Cruise-In
Comprehensive Economic Development Study (CEDS)
The CEDS is a regional approach to economic development planning and is an Economic Development Administration (EDA) requirement. The 2021-2025 edition of the Region 2 Planning Commission Comprehensive Development Strategy was developed by a Steering Committee facilitated by R2PC staff approved by the Full Board on __________________.
The CEDS includes: a description of the Region 2 Area, including socioeconomic performance monitoring; a further refined analysis of socioeconomic conditions through a SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats) analysis; a Mission Statement; and an Action Plan, including Goals, Strategies with corresponding Performance Measures which address each Goal, and a broad listing of economic development Project Types needed in the Region 2 area.
- Commercial, Industrial, and Entrepreneurial Investments
- New/Expanding Research and Development Facilities and High-Tech Industries
- New/Expanding Education Facilities and Innovative Equipment Acquisition
- Public and Multi-Modal Transportation
- Roadway Network Maintenance/Improvements
- Expansion/Maintenance of Public Transportation Services
- Freight — Rail/Air/Port Maintenance/Improvements
- Investment in Energy and Renewable Energy
- Infrastructure Improvements
- Waste Management and Treatment (e.g., Water, Sewer, Solid Waste)
- Utility Restoration, Improvement, and Access (including Broadband)
- Provision of Other Municipal (including County) Services
- Place Making, Culture, Recreation and Tourism Efforts
- New Mixed-Use Developments
- Business and Technology Incubator/Accelerator
- Agriculture, including Value-Added Processing, and the Local Food Movement
- Water/Natural Resources
- Education/Workforce Training
- Increased Housing Options (e.g., the ‘missing middle’)
- Health Care, including Medical Services, and Wellness
- Asset Mapping
- Professional Service Industries (e.g., engineering, architects, accountants, lawyers)